Super simple vegan cauliflower ‘cheese’ polenta with parsley and chives – a delicious creamy polenta that can be eaten as a side or main
Polenta has quickly become one of my favourite go-to meal options within the last couple of years. And this vegan cauliflower cheese polenta is a current go-to of mine; deliciously herby, slightly cheesy and topped with simple sauteed spinach and mushrooms or the veggies of your choice.
Plain polenta can be a bit boring – so finding ways to easily dress up this store cupboard staple is a must ( and fun to experiment with).
Not only are polenta and mushrooms a match made in food heaven, but cauliflower polenta is so more-ish and creamy and really heightens any polenta dish ( and adds more nutrients, too!). When combined with the herby, cheesy additional flavours then you have something that no-one would dare to call boring.
Plus, this cheesy polenta recipe is actually 100% vegan – using dairy-free alternatives and ingredients to create the cheesy flavour. AND if you already have pre-steamed cauliflower in the fridge/freezer then this recipe takes just a few minutes to prepare and cook.
Why try this polenta today?
Not only has polenta become a store cupboard staple, but it can easily be dressed up depending on whether you want it as a side, main, appetizer etc.
The best thing is that polenta takes just a few minutes to prepare with the bare minimum of hands-on prep – so is the ultimate ‘lazy meal’ option.
Plus, it’s a great way to use up leftover fresh veggies as toppings – quickly sauteed mushrooms, spinach, courgette, asparagus and more!
I even love to top with leftover chunks of simple oven-baked butternut squash.
For this cauliflower polenta, you get a bowl of super creamy polenta with a hint of cheesiness, that can be customised to taste.
If anything, polenta bowls have become my new buddha bowl. With a careful selection of ingredients, you can get protein, carbs and fat all in one highly nutritious bowl. Not to mention a delicious combination of flavours.
The Cauliflower Cheese Polenta How-To:
Begin by preparing your cauliflower. separate it into florets and steam ( or boil) till tender. Meanwhile, prepare the chives and parsley by thinly slicing.
Once the cauliflower is ready ( or almost ready) then you can prepare the polenta. Do this by boiling water either in a kettle on in a medium pan on the hob.
Add the stock tablet and stir, till fully dissolved. ( alternatively, you can use 500ml of vegetable stock either shop bought or homemade)
Gradually pour in the polenta, stirring continuously.
add the herbs to the pan and stir. As the polenta begins to thicken, add the plant-based cheese and nutritional yeast ( if using) and stir, till melted.
Add the cauliflower to the pan and blend with a hand blender, till smooth. ( Alternatively, mash the cauliflower before adding it to the pan. It won’t be as smooth and creamy but will still taste lovely).
I like to add a small bit of plant-based butter or garlic-infused olive oil just before serving.
This polenta can be eaten as-is or topped with your choice of toppings. I love to quickly sautee some mushrooms and spinach while my cauliflower steams and then top off with a sprinkle of toasted pine nuts and optional avocado.
What would be your favourite toppings for this polenta? let me know in the comments below!
The Herby Cauliflower Cheese Polenta Recipe:
Vegan Cauliflower Cheese Polenta
- 50 g Polenta
- 1/2 Small Cauliflower steamed
- 200 ml Water + 1/2 Vegetable Stock tablet or 200ml veg stock
- Small handful Vegan shredded cheese
- 1/2 tbsp dairy-free butter or garlic-infused olive oil optional
- 1 tsp Chives finely chopped
- 1 tsp Parsley finely chopped
- generous sprinkle of nutritional yeast optional
- Fried Mushrooms
- Pine Nutes
- Garlic Olive Oil Drizzle
- Prepare the cauliflower first by seperating the florets and steaming, till tender.
- Prepare the polenta by boiling your water ( either in a kettle or in a small pan on the hob). Add the stock tablet and stir, till fully dissolved.
- Gradually pour in the polenta powder, stirring continuously.
- Add the herbs to the pan and stir. As the polenta thickens, add the plant-based cheese and stir, till melted.*
- Add the cauliflower to the pan and blend with a hand blender, till smooth ( alternatively, mash the cauliflower with a fork. it won't be as smooth though).
- I then like to add a little bit of plant-based butter or garlic-infused olive oil, just before serving and find this really perfects the dish.
- This polenta can then be eaten as is or topped with your choice of toppings. I personally suggest sauteed mushrooms and spinach with a sprinkle of pine nuts.
- Once the polenta is added to the pan, it only needs 2-3 more minutes on the heat to thicken. If you find that the polenta is a bit thick once you've added the cauliflower and blended then you can add a bit of water or plant-based milk to slightly thin the mix.
- If you have pre-steamed cauliflower in the fridge or freezer, then this recipe takes just a few minutes to prepare and cook.
Pin this recipe for later!
As always, I’d LOVE to see your results, so if you try the recipe out then let me know. Feel free to tag me in any pics @MemoirsSoLuciie and #MSLuciierecipes.
Till next time,