This simple, delicious dairy-free Butternut squash and sweetcorn vegan soup recipe is perfect for cold autumn/winter days!
So last week I wrote up a simple baked butternut squash recipe and this week I’m showing you one way you can use it! A lovely little ‘hearty’ dish that is super simple to make. Although the recipe looks like it has a lot of ingredients it’s actually really just has five core ingredients; Butternut squash, sweetcorn, onion, coconut milk and vegetable stock. All the rest of the items are just oil to fry or seasonings that many of you will already have in your cupboards.
Typically a soup with corn and potato is a chowder – But I really wanted to mix things up a little and replace potatoes with Butternut squash because – Yum! So I’m not sure if this is technically a chowder? You tell me!
Although this vegan soup recipe is 100% dairy free, the combination of butternut squash, sweetcorn and coconut milk make this wonderfully rich and creamy- Plus if you’ve already pre-cooked your butternut squash for the week then you can use half for this soup ( which will be enough for a modest 2-3 meals for 2 people) and you still have half the squash left over to chop up into stews, pasta’s etc.
Let me know if you give it a try, what you think!
Spiced Butternut Corn Vegan Soup Recipe
- 1/2 baked butternut squash see recipe here ( you can add 3/4 if you prefer a thicker, chunkier soup)
- 1 onion diced
- 3 Cups Corn kernels you can use all fresh or all frozen kernels or I like to add 2 cups frozen and 1 cup fresh – just to feel ‘fancy’
- 750 ml Vegetable stock
- 1 Can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch Cayenne pepper to taste ( always better to build up rather than add too much!)
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbsp. Coconut Oil
- 1/4 tsp General purpose seasoning or Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Optional: 1tbsp Vegan cream cheese & small dob of vegan butter for additional ‘creamy-ness’
- Blackened corn kernels
- Fresh Parsley to garnish
- Optional: Chilli Oil or an additional pinch of Cayenne
- Optional: splash of additional coconut milk
- Heat the oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add your diced onions and lightly fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Then add in your sweetcorn and fry for around 5 minutes till corn is cooked through.
- Add in the garlic and paprika and stir for an additional 3 seconds
- Pour in the stock and coconut milk then scoop in the pre-cooked butter nut squash ( Don’t need to be too precise with chopping it as it will largely be blended) and leave to cook for 10 minutes, with lid if possible.
- Add the cayenne, nutritional yeast and vegan cream cheese ( if using) until fully combined.
- Allow to cool slightly and then blend about 1/2 – 2/3 of the mix in a blender till smooth.
- Return the blended soup to the pan with the chunkier mix and stir then season to taste. ( At this point you can also add the dob of butter and stir in, if wanted)
- You can serve with blackened corn by simply frying an ear of corn lightly on each side in a pan OR simply wrapping in some tin foil and placing over your gas hob for around 8 minutes, turning over every 2 minutes. Then add a splash of coconut milk or chili oil ( if you want some additional spice) and garnish with some fresh parsley. – Serve with some garlic bread if you’re feeling extra cheeky!
- For this recipe I’m assuming that you already have your baked butternut squash. If not then you can follow the instructions for that HERE. Alternatively , Simply chop the squash in 1/2 , scoop out the stringy flesh and seeds the chop both sections in half again. Lightly brush with oil and flavour with seasonings ( can use salt & pepper only or a mix of onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and all purpose seasoning) then score with a knife and bake in the oven for around 40-50 minutes at 180°, until tender.
- This soup can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Till next time,
To pin for later!