Do you have the ‘guts’ to try this Gutsy blood-red beetroot pasta salad? A gruesome and delicious vegan Halloween pasta recipe!
Blood red beetroot pasta salad – a delicious vegan Halloween pasta recipe, and generally great vegan Halloween recipe.
This blood-red beetroot pasta salad is definitely for the beetroot lovers out there. But super simple to whip up in under 15 minutes, 100%🌱 Vegan, Healthy & Fun! -So If you’re still stuck for a spooky recipe to help celebrate tonight ( or this weekend), get in the spirit with this delicious Vegan Halloween pasta recipe!
Also- surprise!- this blood-red pasta is 100% naturally coloured! And what is the magical ingredient you ask? It’s beetroot juice!
Confession time – I’m not actually a huge fan of beetroot. And by that, I mean that up until about a year ago I avoided it at all costs. Beetroot is naturally earthy in flavour and I’ve never seen that as a positive attribute in an ingredient. That’s probably the same reason why I can’t stand matcha ( eep, yes I said it!). I mean, who wants to eat something that tastes like ‘earth’ anyway?!
But then suddenly last year it started appearing in everything and I couldn’t resist it any longer. I realised that perhaps, in small quantities, it wasn’t as bad as I first thought. And now, I’m chomping on beetroot infused pasta like a champ!
P.s. My partner thought this looked a bit 🎉🎁Christmas-y so….. ghoul-y guts or festive cheer… The juries out on that one folks!
How to make the blood-red beetroot pasta salad:
This Halloween pasta recipe is ridiculously simple to make – made from just 5 base ingredients and 15 minutes.
In terms of pasta, the choice is really up to you. I went for Spirali , since it looks the most ‘guts’-like. However, if you’re wanting to make this for any non-spooky occasion then the choice is yours!
To make the pasta, simply cook it according to the packet instructions. However, instead of using water, use beetroot juice to cook the pasta in -along with a vegetable stock tablet.
This beetroot pasta salad can be served hot or cold- I personally love serving it cold in a large bowl in a party buffet type situation. I also decided to keep it super simple for the Halloween aesthetics. However, as you’ll see in the recipe below I’ve included two options for serving this pasta salad.
For the super simple base pasta salad version, I just added some basil massaged with garlic-infused olive oil and Vegan Feta. ( I use Violife’s Greek Block.. and no I’m not an affiliate or anything, I just LOVE this cheeze!).
If you’re wanting a more substantial vegan layered pasta salad then you can add any of your favourite veggies of choice.
My favourite combination is a layer of salad leaves or spinach at the bottom, some roasted Mediterranean vegetables ( peppers, courgette & aubergine), chopped tomatoes, the beetroot pasta, sprinkled with Vegan Feta, olives and possibly some chopped nuts for added protein.
Also, Feel free to add in your favourite Vegan meat-alternative as a layer too if you’re wanting to pack more of a protein punch ( I suggest some Vegan bacon!).
In terms of dressing, I decided to keep this pasta salad fairly plain because of how much flavour the beetroot infused pasta adds to the dish. I’ll sometimes add a small slug of garlic-infused olive oil but usually just keep it plain and let the pasta and Vegan Feta create all the flava-flave!
Blood Red Beetroot Pasta Salad
For the Base Beetroot Pasta Salad:
- Pasta I used 'spirali'
- Beetroot Juice
- A small bunch Basil chopped finely
- Vegan Feta
- Garlic infused olive oil optional
Optional Ingredients if making a layered pasta salad:
- Roasted Courgette & peppers
- Chopped tomatoes
- Chopped Nuts
- Salad Leaves OR Spinach
For the pasta:
- Cook two portions of the pasta according to the packet instructions - Just swap out water for beetroot juice and add a vegetable stock tablet.*
For the Base beetroot pasta salad:
- Meanwhile, as the pasta cooks, prepare the rest of the pasta salad by chopping up the basil and massaging with garlic infused olive oil.
- When ready to serve simply spoon the pasta into a large bowl and top with the basil and crumbled Vegan feta.
For a Layered Pasta Salad:
- Now, it's 100% up to you as to what veggies you add in your layered pasta salad. I personally love to make a Mediterranean style pasta salad.
- For the roast veggies simply slice courgette, aubergine and peppers and brush with garlic-infused olive oil then bake in the oven at 190C for around 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile chop up some tomatoes, olives and nuts.
- When ready to serve, begin with a layer of salad leaves or chopped spinach. Then layer the Meditteranean veg, tomatoes and olives over that. Finally, crumble vegan feta into the bowl and then top with the beetroot pasta and possibly some chopped nuts.
Other Recipes you may like:
As always, I’d LOVE to see your results so if you try the recipe out then let me know and feel free to tag me in any pics @MemoirsSoLuciie.
Till next time,
And as always: To pin for later!